There are so many ways to market one’s business through standard media that business owners and marketing teams often forget to look at some of the more classic options. Billboards have been around for decades, and like many other marketing methods, they’ve been enhanced thanks to the advancement of technology.
If you’re looking for ways to generate unlimited attention by combining traditional advertising and modern technology, look no further than digital billboards.
Digital Billboard Statistics
The potential of a digital billboard campaign might be easier to grasp when considering the numbers involved with this marketing method.
For starters, the average American spends approximately 300 hours per year either driving or riding in a vehicle as a passenger. During commutes, more than 70% of people look at the billboards they pass on the way, and more than 50% of people claim that they engaged with a billboard they saw within the past month.
Additionally, because so many people commute from one place to another regularly, out-of-home advertising stands to be nearly 400% more effective at attracting attention from consumers than advertising through TV.
The statistics here, when viewed through the lens of an advertising scenario make it quite clear how and why digital billboard advertising has become so effective. In addition, this type of advertising presents an array of marketing benefits, which we’ll explore.
Benefits of Digital Billboards
A digital billboard campaign presents several benefits that traditional billboard campaigns do not.
- Improved Visibility: Digital billboards tend to have greater visibility than traditional billboards. For one, they’re backlit so that even at night, they’re easy to see. Additionally, the crisp images projected on a digital billboard make them easier to read than traditional billboards. Digital billboards are also usually installed in areas that experience high traffic, and they’re positioned in such a way that they essentially draw the eye to them.
- Billboard Endurance: Digital billboards are usually built to withstand harsh weather (both heat and cold), impact, and moisture. As such, they don’t peel, fade, break, or become illegible very easily. The same can’t always be said for traditional billboards, which can lose panels or become faded depending on how long they’ve been up, and the weather conditions in the area.
- Cost-Savings: Posting an advertisement on a digital billboard can be a cost-effective marketing choice compared to going with traditional billboard advertising. This is because a digital ad is easier to format and project through a digital billboard than it is to print and post on a traditional billboard. Not to mention, there is little to no maintenance or upkeep required for digital billboard ads.
- Portability: Digital billboards can be projected in several locations, so advertisers are not limited by the physical borders of the billboard they’re using. It’s easy to move an ad from one digital billboard to another with a few clicks here and there. This is vastly different from moving ads on a traditional billboard, which would take a great deal of physical work to accomplish.
Attention-Grabbing Elements of Digital Billboards
Other than simply choosing a digital billboard over a traditional one there are several considerable elements associated with digital advertising in this way. To make the most out of your digital billboard campaign, take steps to ensure that the following elements take priority when designing your digital advertisements and planning your campaign.
It’s commonly said in marketing that location is one of the most important factors to look at when planning for success. While it’s very true, location works a little differently when it comes to digital billboards. This is because digital advertisements can be projected wherever digital billboards are posted, so choosing the right location has already been done for you in a way.
That said, it’s important to research your options when choosing a billboard location to post your ads on. Look for a billboard position that sees a lot of traffic and doesn’t have to compete too much with other billboards in the area. Choose one that’s aimed at your target audience as well. This might mean choosing a billboard over a major roadway if you’re reaching out to tourists, or one that’s at street level if you’re looking for active, everyday shoppers.
People might remember a low-quality billboard, but it won’t be for the right reasons. If you want to draw attention to your advertisements from every direction, you’ll want to create an eye-catching design. Choose fonts that are large, easy to read, and well-formatted into the billboard.
Pick a color scheme that meshes each hue together in a cohesive way. Harsh, clashing colors will look tacky while colors that are too similar might make the ad too difficult to read. Spend some time experimenting with colors, fonts, images, and other elements of your ad to come up with a design that speaks to your brand.
Advertisement quality, in a way, is related to the billboard design. When considering the quality of your ads, design is one factor, but there’s more to it. A clean, attractive combination of text and images can heighten the ad’s quality, but advertisers also need to consider the following:
- Is the ad straightforward?
- Does it convey the right message?
- How are target audiences going to react?
- Is the ad tasteful?
- Would you personally be interested in the product/service if you saw this ad?
- Does the ad represent your company’s service, culture, and values?
Audiences can spot a misleading, offensive message from a mile away. Be sure to give them something they’ll like seeing if you want to attract as much of the best kind of attention you can.
Creating an effective digital billboard campaign might not be a simple process, but there are elements associated with it that can be made easy with the right focus. To come up with ads that turn heads, take your time, focus on the design and quality, and then let the technological innovation that digital billboards are take it from there.