Posting advertisements in public settings isn’t a new practice, as this method of marketing businesses has been used for decades. However, OOH (out-of-home) advertising has evolved significantly since “the old days” and because of this, it’s become a popular trend in today’s advertising world.
Read on to find out why, and to learn about how OOH advertising stands to promote your business.
Types of OOH Advertisements
One of the many reasons behind the growing trend in out-of-home advertising is the variety available. Outdoor ads do not have to take on only one form, nor do they need to display a single format. These ads have the opportunity to be interactive, provocative, and effective when the design and location are carefully chosen.
Take a look at the selection of OOH ad types commonly used by growing businesses and large corporations alike.
- Billboards: One of the first ad types that come to mind when we think about outdoor advertising, billboards are usually massive ads posted along roadways.
- Bulletin Boards: Billboards are more of a traditional community-type of ad, where most of the time, members of the public are free to post an ad for others to see.
- Wallscapes: Wallscapes usually take up a large portion of an outdoor wall, and there is often an artistic element to them.
- Banners: Banners can vary in size and are usually posted in front of or close to the establishment they’re advertising for.
- Posters: Posters also vary in size, but they can be hung practically anywhere to alert passersby of products and services they might want.
- Street Furniture: Benches and bus terminals often contain various ads to give residents something to look at between Point A and Point B.
- Moving Ads: Moving ads are those that are attached to vehicles. Buses and taxis are the most common vehicles to display moving ads, but trains and personal vehicles can also make use of moving ads.
Digital VS Traditional
On top of the versatile nature of out-of-home advertising that allows companies to use an array of ad formats, technological innovations have also enabled digital advertising in addition to static ads.
There are benefits and setbacks associated with any type of advertising method, but the ability to choose between traditional and digital options can make a big difference for advertisers. The effectiveness and customization choices possible through OOH advertising can simplify adjusting techniques and campaign elements so that they suit any business.
Depending on a company’s budget, advertising goals, and location, there’s a decent selection of ad choices on the table in today’s diverse advertising landscape.
Benefits of Out Of Home Advertising
As mentioned above, there are pros and cons to think about when it comes to any type of advertising. Yet, it’s hard to ignore the unique benefits that OOH advertising offers.
Let’s take a look at a few.
- Visibility: Though people have been staying indoors more often than they did a decade ago, there still exists the need to go outside. When people leave their homes, they tend to look around. When they do, they take notice of eye-catching ads. Unlike other forms of media, consumers don’t have the luxury of installing ad-blockers or changing the channel in real life. As such, they’re going to notice your ads when they’re out and about.
- Creative Freedom: Out-of-home advertising can really allow businesses to get creative when it comes to the way they reach out to an audience. Instead of short, text-only ads often attached to websites and search engines, OOH ads can come in a variety of sizes and formats. Plus the ability to use crisp, attractive images and clean, yet robust fonts can make one ad stand out against the crowd for all the right reasons.
- Cost-Effectiveness: Because there are so many options to choose from in OOH advertising, there’s something available in everyone’s budget. Additionally, when a company purchases OOH ads, they don’t have to pay another business each time a consumer glances at the content. The cost-effectiveness of out-of-home ads makes them a great choice for businesses hoping to save money while they grow.
- Action Inspiring: When people engage with an ad that they see on the go, they’re often inspired to check out the company behind the advertisement. According to a study by Nielsen, 23% of people interact with mobile codes on ads, 35% used mobile devices to look up information about ads they saw, and 21% chose to visit restaurants after seeing an ad promoting the establishment.
- Variety: The variety of ad types that businesses can utilize in an outdoor setting makes this type of marketing accessible to most companies. Additionally, when businesses think creatively, they can choose ad types that will most likely reach their target market. For example, athletic companies might make use of street-level ads, or park bench ads so that they can attract people who are running or walking to get exercise.
Along with the ability to get creative when it comes to the design and message displayed in outdoor ads, businesses can also think strategically when it comes to where and how they post their ads.
For example, if you want to advertise your products and services in places where consumers are sure to see them, but you have a limited marketing budget, don’t give up. If you have friends and family who live around your desired ad location, they might be willing to post signs in front of their homes to promote your company to people passing by. They might also spread the word about your business by attaching bumper stickers or back windshield ads on their vehicles.
Finally, if all else seems to be out of your budget, guerilla marketing is always worth a shot. This advertising option tends to be very affordable, and if done correctly, it draws attention to your brand in a positive way.
The reasons why out-of-home advertising has become so popular are numerous. If you’re interested after reading through the types and benefits of OOH ads, we want to make it easy for you to learn more. Reach out to Pearl Media for information about your OOH ad options and let us help you design the best advertising plan for your company’s goals.