What’s one of the best ways to capture your audience’s attention that’s nearly impossible to ignore? When you’re out and about, the answer may be right in front of you – out-of-home advertising.
More than two-thirds of U.S. adults reported they noticed out-of-home (OOH) ads on their route to retailers, with 42% stating the ads impacted their purchasing choices. From billboards to transit ads to digital displays visible to people on the go, out-of-home (OOH) advertising is particularly effective because it reaches consumers in the physical world, where they’re more likely to engage with your message.
However, careful planning and execution go into creating a winning OOH campaign. This article will provide tips and tricks to help your business maximize your out-of-home advertising efforts.
Define your Target Audience
Apply what you know about your target audience to your out-of-home ad campaign. Your customer’s demographic’s values, preferences, and habits, such as where they spend their time, will help you determine how and where you’ll structure your OOH advertisements.
Plus, this information can steer the direction of vital choices along your campaign, including selecting the best ad locations, which format to choose, and how to craft a message that resonates with your audience and motivates them to take action.
Choose the Right Out-of-Home Advertising Media
With unique characteristics and objectives, OOH advertising includes various mediums and is far from a one-size-fits-all proposition.
As you sift through the different formats, including traditional and digital out-of-home (DOOH) advertising, consider your target audience, the message you want to convey, and the budget for your campaign.
For instance, a billboard campaign on a busy highway may effectively increase brand awareness and reach a broad audience. In contrast, a targeted digital-out-of-home (DOOH) campaign in a shopping mall may engage shoppers at the point of purchase and drive sales.
Therefore, brands must carefully consider the context of the OOH medium they plan to use and tailor their strategies accordingly for maximum impact.
What are the different types of Out-of-Home advertising and DOOH Media?
- Billboard ads placed alongside highways, roads, and other high-traffic areas
- Transit advertising on buses, trains, taxis, and other vehicles
- Street furniture advertising placed on items like bus shelters, benches, and phone booths
- Digital display ads that use technology, such as LCD screens, digital billboards, or TV displays
- Interactive advertising that involves digital screens that respond to consumer input, such as touch or movement
Consider Your OOH Advertising Budget
Different out-of-home and digital-out-of-home formats vary in cost and their potential reach. For the best results and a higher ROI, create your budget in coordination with the following factors.
- Understand your target audience’s frequented places. For example, digital screens may be more effective than traditional billboards if you have a younger target audience.
- Consider the cost associated with your chosen location. Advertisements in high-traffic areas such as airports and train stations will be more expensive than those in less populated areas.
- Determine the duration of your advertising campaign. Longer campaigns often have a better return on investment, while shorter campaigns can effectively promote time-limited events.
- Factor in the costs of creating and producing your advertisement, including hiring a graphic designer, printing or making the ad, and possible installation and removal fees.
Design Eye-Catching Visuals
You only have a few seconds to make an impact, so your advertising should instantly capture people’s attention and leave a lasting impression. The most effective OOH ads are visually striking and easy to read. Remember that your ad will be viewed from a distance.
Also, be aware of your competition’s ad campaign and signage. Ensure your messaging sets you apart from your competitors and doesn’t open the door for an opposing message that “one-ups ” your campaign.
Tips for Creating Compelling OOH Ad Content
- Grab attention with short and simple messages
- Choose words and phrases that are concise and easy to understand
- Communicate your campaign goal, such as brand awareness, new product announcement, or expanded services
- Avoid adding too much text
- Incorporate logos and your brand messaging
- Ensure your branding is prominently featured
- Use captivating images and eye-catching graphics
- Add bold and contrasting colors and designs
Find Your Ideal Locations
Like in real estate, in OOH advertising, it’s all about location, location, location! The most effective placement will depend on your target audience and the format of your ad.
For example, if your target audience is affluent professionals, you may want to place your OOH ads near high-end shopping centers or trendy restaurants. However, if your product is geared toward college students, you’ll want to put your ads near campuses or popular hangout spots.
How to Strategize Your OOH Ad Placement
- Research the best locations in your target market’s demographics
- Ensure the area is relevant to your audience
- Analyze foot traffic, traffic patterns, and visibility
- Check for potential competition from other advertisers
Measure the Effectiveness of Your Campaign
As with any advertising campaign, tracking your performance results can lead to helpful insights into what’s working and what needs a change in strategy.
However, OOH advertising can be challenging to measure, as it often operates outside digital channels. Fortunately, there are a few metrics for success that you can establish before launching your campaign. These performance indicators can help your business track your progress regularly and make adjustments as necessary to refine your campaign.
Performance and Success Metrics for an OOH Ad Campaign
- Track website traffic and impressions
- Use unique URLs or QR codes on your ads, which can help track how many people visit your website or take action after seeing your ad
- Calculate sales during the campaign period to determine your ROI
- Observe social media to track engagement rates and monitor conversations around your brand
Get Better Results with an Out-of-Home Advertising Campaign with Pearl Media
At Pearl Media, we build partnerships with building owners to create advertising opportunities for the best brands. By pairing premium properties with great-looking ads, we generate new revenue for the building owner in places where a brand’s ideal client lives, works, and plays. Discover how we can create a winning OOH advertising campaign for your business. Contact Pearl Media today!